Search

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Arrival

Greetings,
I arrived to Washington D.C late Friday evening after a grueling day of travel: ever since I have been crazy busy. Yesterday I had orientation, where we went on a tour of the museum and were introduced to museum happenings. Today was my first official day and, to say the least, it was FANTASTIC!
I was introduced to the Survivor Affairs program and what I will be doing. First I was brought to my cubicle, where I will be working on many projects. Then we went into the museum where I met three of many survivors. Afterwards, I shadowed a facilitation of a survivors program. This is where groups come to the museum to listen to survivors tell their stories. The job of a facilitator is to make sure everything is in order with the group and the survivor and then facilitate introductions and questions. I will be shadowing 2 more of these events and then facilitating one of my own next week. I also, got to get started on getting to know one of the survivors I will be working closely with. I have so much ahead of me and I am beyond excited.
In addition, I had a shift in my research project. I was originally focusing on the difference between public and personal opinion; however, due to a shift in accessibility and circumstances I am only able to focus on public opinion now. I have in depth graphs and results to come.
As for my experience in Washington D.C. I love it! I love the weather and the big city life. I love the metro and the food trucks. I have been to the smithsonian castle and walked most of the mall, which has been outstanding. I am lucky enough to be here for the cherry blossom bloom. I will be here for peak bloom and the festival. Thus far, just seeing the beginning of the blooming is breathtaking. My experience so far has been absolutely amazing and I cannot wait for what is to come!

 

Thanks for reading,
Kari Joy







*more survivor stories and research updates are to come!

6 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! What is your favorite part of the museum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the donor desk where I get to sit and talk with survivors!

      Delete
  2. I am so excited for you! And jealous :)
    I look forward to reading your survivor stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kari Joy! I'm reading your blog! And I'm just thrilled at this opportunity for you--and can't wait to keep following along and learn as you learn! How long will you be in DC?

    ReplyDelete