Search

Monday, January 30, 2017

Welcome!

I am Kari Joy. I am senior at BASIS Flagstaff graduating this May! I have been given the opportunity to work with many accredited programs for my Senior Research Project(SRP). For my research project, I am studying how public opinion towards Jews changed from pre-World War 2 to post-World War 2 in Flagstaff. I am doing so by examining the Northern Arizona University (NAU) student newspapers from the time period. My time period for examination is 1932 to 1955.

In order to enhance my knowledge on the subject and learn how to research I am working with the Martin-Springer Institute at NAU on their "Flagstaff Jewish Lives" project. For this project we examined Jewish presence, attitudes, and opinion pre and post World War 2 in Flagstaff. We are currently creating a magazine of our findings. Our research didn't rear up as much information on Flagstaff Jewish life as we expected; however, I learned a lot of information about Jewish life in a small town and Jewish lives and tradition as a whole. I will continue to work with the Martin-Springer Institute on this project through February. 

For the internship portion of my senior research project I will be working at The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington D.C for the month of March. I will be working in Survivor Affairs where I will communicate with survivors to help them tell their stories.  

I have been granted the pleasure of working with Dr. Bjorn Krondorfer as my external advisor. Dr. Krondorfer is the director of the Martin-Springer Institute and is leading the Flagstaff Jewish Lives project at NAU.

I am also excited to be working with Chris Bayer as my internal advisor. He is the upper school history teacher at BASIS Flagstaff. He has been a great support and mentor and I look forward to continuing to learn from him. 

I am thrilled that I have been given these amazing opportunities. I am looking forward to the upcoming knowledge and experiences! I will be posting updates once a week regarding my current endeavors. Thank you for all who have supported me and who continue to. Thank you for following! 

4 comments: